Men's Basketball, Sports

Different year, same outcome for 49ers against LMU

Box score

Long Beach State rallied from a 13-point deficit to force overtime but ultimately came up short in an 80-77 loss to Loyola Marymount at the Walter Pyramid on Saturday night.

Two late 3-pointers from Greg Plater and a put-back from T.J. Robinson highlighted the 49ers’ (3-3) comeback as the team rebounded to force overtime. Plater hit a game tying shot from behind the arc with just 2 seconds remaining in regulation.

Robinson posted his third consecutive double-double with a 16 point, 15 rebound effort. Junior Larry Anderson also had a solid all-around game as he added 14 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists.

In the second half LMU (3-4) got its offense rolling as the Lions tied their largest lead of the game thanks to eight quick points from forward Ashley Hamilton. The spurt put LMU up 60-47 with five minutes left to play.

Hamilton ended his night with 13 points and 11 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.

The Beach made things interesting late in the game as Ware picked up a defensive rebound and took it the length of the court for a layup in which he was fouled and sent to the line where he made the free throw.

The junior point guard then stole the ball on the next possession and found Anderson for a layup right under the basket to bring the 49ers within five points with just under two minutes left.

Ware went to the free throw line with 35 seconds left and a chance to put the team within two points but couldn’t hit the first free throw. He connected on the second to make it a one possession game, 64-61.

With the clock winding down, Plater found the ball in his hands and didn’t hesitate to let the shot fly.

“When Greg (Plater) hit that big three it really boosted us and gave us some energy,” Robinson said.

LBSU couldn’t complete the comeback as the team was outscored 14-11 in overtime.

“I’m glad that we fought but we are fighting five different fights out there instead of one,” LBSU head coach Dan Monson said. “We need to get together and fight as a group.

“We left the Virgin Islands more of a team than we played today.”

The Beach had a successful trip to the Virgin Islands, going 2-1 in the Paradise Jam Tournament good enough for a fourth place finish, with a loss to Clemson and wins over Saint Peter’s and Iowa.

Forward Eugene Phelps had a chance to take the lead with less than a minute left in overtime, but was called for a charge as his shot fell through the basket. On the last play of the game, Robinson missed what would have been a game tying 3-pointer as time ran out.

Aside from Hamilton, the Lions had two other starters finish with double-doubles as guard Vernon Teel chipped in 20 points and 11 rebounds and forward Drew Viney added 18 points and 12 rebounds.

Ware finished the game with 18 points, six assists and three steals in 43 minutes but was only 5-for-17 from the field. He said fatigue was never a factor.

“In a game like that you can’t think about fatigue you have to think about the next play,” Ware said.

Phelps got the Beach going early with six first half points, four rebounds and a steal. He helped the team get out to an early 13-6 lead with his strong inside play but couldn’t connect on his two 3-point attempts of the half.

Phelps finished the game with 16 points and seven rebounds, but was forced to leave after fouling out late in the contest.

LMU couldn’t find their offensive flow early as they finished the first half with one assist and 10 turnovers. However, they did find success at the free throw line as they converted on nine of their 12 first half attempts.

Reserve forward Tim Diederichs woke up the Lions after a sluggish start with 11 points and two rebounds in 7 minutes off the bench. Diederichs entered the contest averaging just under two points.

LMU’s largest lead of the first half, 33-23, came after Ware’s shot was blocked on one end of the court that lead to a Hamilton fast-break layup with just over two minutes left.

The Beach fought back thanks to solid ball movement and a pair of 3-pointers from Robinson and Plater that cut the lead to 35-29.

With just a minute left in the half, Anderson made a layup while getting fouled but was unable to hit the free throw. Robinson followed up Anderson’s miss by grabbing the rebound and putting it back to bring the 49ers within two points of the Lions heading into halftime.

The Lions were able to capitalize on the 49ers lackluster rebounding with 16 offensive rebounds in the second half and overtime, finishing the game with 21.

Up next for the 49ers is a trip to Washington as the team gets ready to play the No. 13 Huskies (3-2) on Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for Postings made on Persons commenting are solely responsible for Postings made on this website. Persons commenting agree to the Terms of Use of the website. If Postings do not abide by the Rules of Conduct or Posting Regulations as listed in the Postings Policy, the Daily 49er has all rights to delete Postings as it deems necessary. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech. This site also encourages users to make Postings relevant to the article or other Postings.


Comments powered by Disqus

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Daily 49er newsletter